Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Book Rave: The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan. And stuff.


 This could technically be the book representing England, but I want to talk about other things too so I’ll make this a book rave. One thing I’m sure to find in future is another English book. Books set in  places like Kazakhstan may be slightly harder, unless Sacha Baron Cohen decides to write one.

If you haven’t read The Demon’s Lexicon, go and read it now. All good libraries should have a copy. My current local library went up (slightly) in my estimation when it procured a copy, 2 years after it was first published. My previous (awesome) local library was where I first found it, borrowed it, read it while walking home, through the night and then, um, while I was supposed to be at work. It’s probably not for everyone, but you should know by now if you like that kind of thing.

The story is basically about two brothers who fight magicians and demons while trying to look after their crazy mother and avoid the big bad magician who’s out to get them. Nick is the younger brother who’s tall, dark, handsome, and handy with a sword. Alan is the older brother who’s red-headed, bookish, limps, and is handy with a gun. Mae of the pink hair comes to them to try to save her brother Jamie from a demon. Awesomeness ensues.

This book falls into a category with a number of my favourite films and books. Unfortunately, making a list of these books and films is kind of spoilery, not in a huge way but just because you know what the pattern is. It (hopefully) won’t spoil the books or films for you, but you’ll read/watch them a certain way. Anyway, if you want to read this list, keep going down the page and get out your glasses. If not, have a good week!!!








The Demon’s Lexicon (obviously)
To a certain extent, Harry Potter
The Prestige (one of my most favourite movies of all time. Btw the book is MORE complicated...)
Fight Club (bought on my 18th birthday so I could show my ID. They didn’t ask me for ID...)
The Sixth Sense
The Reticence of Lady Anne by Saki (short story) http://haytom.us/showarticle.php?id=119
The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
The Matrix (kind of)
Probably lots and lots of mysteries, eg Agatha Christie

Why? You can go back a second time and read/watch an ENTIRELY different book/film. Demon’s Lexicon has Nick as its POV character. Read for a second time, I found you saw things more from Alan’s POV. Rees Brennan takes your standard stereotypes and plays games with your head, making you believe the reasons for something are one thing, when they’re actually entirely another.

From thinking about these kinds of stories, I’ve come to the conclusion that, to make a good twist, you need to have at least two sets of causes for each action/event: at least one that the reader will assume, and one that is the reality. I’d love to write one of these...

No comments:

Post a Comment

what do you think?