Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tokyo Day 4 (Sunday): Harajuku


I’m trying to decide if I should post things while they’re still fresh, or wait until I’m not jetlagged and can write better. I have a feeling it will be a bit of both. Sunday now, Saturday later. Just to be completely backwards.

I woke at 7.06 to an earthquake (5.5) that went on for about 30s-minute. Circus Girl's house is pretty bouncy (it bounces when trucks go past) so we bounced around for a bit and then it stopped. Breakfast was some Japanese pastries, including a sweet potato roll and some healthy healthy Japanese tea. I took a bit longer packing than I thought I would (I guess that always happens), dragged my bags through to Nippori Station and stashed them in a locker there. I didn’t have any cash left so we went on a mission to find an ATM that would take my card, which turned out to be extremely difficult.

Our aim today was to see some cosplay outfits in Harajuku. Circus Girl took me to the bridge where they normally stand, but there weren’t any there. Maybe they were scared away by the rain forecast. I found a good ATM so I could actually have money, and we found a shop that sold the most amazing cosplay outfits: anything from anime-style dresses and sparkly Las Vegas dancer get-ups to traditional kimonos and Victorian suits.

After a bit (I’m sorry!) we went to McDonalds where I got a Teriyaki McBurger and a Coke glass that was the main reason I’d wanted to go to this particular fast-food place. The burger was quite good, if a little strange, and the McDonalds was packed even at 3pm. We saw some cosplay girls there, dressed in short dresses with lots of petticoats and their hair beautifully arranged. It didn’t seem the right place for a photo though...

By the time we left the restaurant it was pouring. Circus Girl and I huddled together and joined the sea of floating umbrellas in the road. There were some impressive puddles, so we still got pretty wet. We took refuge in a few shops and made our way back to the train station, took my last Tokyo internal train back to Nippori, and said good-bye.

So that was Tokyo. I think I would have liked more time to see everything and some lotto money to shop with...

No comments:

Post a Comment

what do you think?